Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Baking Flour

I'm not going to put too many bad reviews on here but Kristie and I felt it was necessary. Back when we were first trying the whole GF life, I bought this flour and tried to use it as a substitute for all purpose flour. Every recipe left me with an after taste that I couldn't handle. I find this flavor in many GF mixes. Justin, being so used to eating GF, doesn't notice it but as soon as I taste a recipe that has it, I instantly know. It took me a couple years to finally figure out what it is: bean flours! I read that bean flours are often added to mixes to add protein. This mix contains garbanzo flour and fava flour. Doublely bad in my mind.

I know this mix is convenient, and it can be hard to find other pre-made GF flour mixes. I can't say you should never ever use this. If you have a recipe that only calls for a very small amount of flour, it should be fine. But I would never make a cake or anything that is flour based.

If you have a GF flour mix that you like and works well, I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

  1. I TOTALLY agree! Bob's is usually fine for straight tapioca flour, corn meal, etc., but I am not a fan of the blends. I have found some of the rice flours and such to be less impressive than their bulk counterparts, too. The NICE thing about Bob's is it's such a widely-carried brand that I can get some of my gf flours in a standard grocery store if I buy that brand. (For the record, the biscuit blend is also offensive to my taste buds.) (Also for the record, I have been using the brown rice blend you and Kristie use in some recipes, and Silvana's blend from the Cooking for Isaiah cookbook for other recipes.)

    ReplyDelete