Sunday, September 23, 2012

Vegan Grated “Parmesan”


    In making recipes that called for grated parmesan cheese, my go to brand was always Parma!.  Over the course of the last several months, Parma! has been incredibly difficult to find.  I’ve been omitting parmesan from recipes all together because I could never find it on the shelves.  I was making artichoke dip for a party and for this recipe I knew the parmesan was one of the ingredients that made a big difference in flavor so I called Whole Foods and asked if they carried any other vegan parmesan cheese. (I find asking if an item is “vegan” is a much easier way to get an absolute answer that the product is dairy free.
I was quickly routed to this gem:

parm

Image courtesy of galaxyfoods.com

    When I brought it home and cracked the seal, I knew it was going to be good.  It smelled exactly like grated parmesan cheese.  Tasting on my finger was even better.  It had the texture and flavor of dairy-full parmesan cheese.  If any of you have tried Parma! you know that tasting that stuff on your finger just doesn’t taste the same as the regular stuff.  I added it to my appetizer recipe and it gave the parmesan flavor that was called for.  I think this little jar is ready to shake-shake over my spaghetti!

No comments:

Post a Comment