Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dill Dip

The question I get asked most often is what’s a good appetizer that Justin can eat. Almost every time we go to someone’s house I get an email begging for help. It’s such a hard one to answer too. The easiest thing is chips, salsa, and gauc – of course many of the processed gaucs have milk in them so then I have to explain about label reading. It’s a good thing Justin is a huge Mexican food fan and will always be happy to eat that. Beyond that I struggle - unless you want to go to a co-op or natural food store and pay a mint for 3 gf/df chicken wings or slave over a kitchen all day making your own creations. My goal is to get up some relatively easy appetizer ideas that anyone can make!

And now it’s time to introduce Tofutti. Tofutti makes a wide range of dairy free substitute products. I have a love/hate relationship with it. Some recipes I can’t tell a difference and others are horrid. I will first say I am not a fan of tofu. I know it’s not “supposed” to taste like anything but I disagree. One of the products that we always have on hand is Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream. The best part about Tofutti is we don’t have to go to the co-op to get it. Cub has it in their organic cold section!


sour cream
Pictures compliments of Tofutti

Here’s a recipe for a great dill dip. I can’t tell that it’s df! We eat it mostly as a veggie dip but it also works as a sauce for meats too.

Ingredients

1 cup Toffuti Better Than Sour Cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon dill weed
1 tablespoon Lowery Salt
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1 tablespoon minced onion

Directions

Mix ingredients together and chill.

1 comment:

  1. I just realized how close this is to the dip we make in my family (I haven't yet dared to try it df, but am getting up the nerve after the other successes I've had lately with Tofutti). Ours is 1 c. mayo, 1 c. sour cream, 1 tbsp. parsley flakes, 1 tbsp. minced onion, 1 tbsp. celery seed, and 1 tsp. Lowery's seasoned salt.

    ReplyDelete