Thursday, March 31, 2011

Dairy Free Chocolate

It was really scary to take the DF plunge knowing I would have to get rid of chocolate.  Besides the whole angry intestinal fight we would have, chocolate and I got along really well pre-DF diet and I wasn’t sure I was going to find a substitute that came close to the real thing.

I was proven wrong after taste testing a bunch of different brands.  My absolute favorite is Chocolate Dream Dairy Free Chocolate Bars.

dream
Beyond the great flavor the texture of this chocolate is smooth and creamy.  The taste is most definitely chocolaty, but does not try to mimic the flavor of the well known dairy-full chocolate bars like Hershey's or Cadbury.  Chocolate Dream is exactly what I need as an after dinner treat…just a couple of bites and my craving is fed.

Not far behind the question of What kind of chocolate bars can I eat, was What kind of chocolate chips can I use for DF baking?  This question was first simply answered by using Enjoy Life Dairy Free Chocolate Chips.  They are usually sold at any Natural Food Store as well as the Gluten Free section of your local Cub Foods. 

A friend of mine, who is also a Vegan, informed me that Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips are safe for a vegan and DF diet.  These chocolate chips are found at most grocery stores, are a cheaper alternative to Enjoy Life, and have since become my number one go-to chocolate chip.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen chocolate dream in the form of chocolate chips, too...fyi, in case you weren't aware :)

    ReplyDelete