Saturday, March 12, 2011

Udi’s Gluten Free Foods

I was really apprehensive to take the gluten free plunge for the sheer fear of not being able to find a bread that tasted, for lack of a better word, normal.  Kristen was the first one to recommend Udi’s sandwich bread.  Knowing Justin liked it, I figured I would give it a try.  One toasted slice later, I was hooked.  The texture, when toasted, is almost identical to a toasted piece of wheat bread.  When not toasted the bread does have a slightly grainy texture, but it is nothing a little peanut butter and jelly can’t mask.

udisbread

The Udi’s product line also contains pizza crust, bagels, muffins, cinnamon rolls and granola.  All of which are gf and df.  I waited to write this review until I tried the muffins that were in my freezer along with the granola that I just recently purchased.  All of the Udi’s products have been really really good. 

The muffins, which come in blueberry, double chocolate and lemon streusel (the only flavor I have not tried), are really tasty.  The flavors are not intense, but the muffins are really moist and they have a true muffin taste.  Your taste buds may even trick you into thinking you are eating a cupcake.

udismufs

The granola is outstanding.  I have only tried the vanilla flavor and it was sweet and crunchy—just like granola should be.  I love granola with a little bit of almond milk for a bedtime snack…yumm!

udisgranola

The bagel almost tastes more like a toasted bun than a bagel.  It is not chewy and does not have a true bagel taste.  However, I had a chicken and bacon sandwich on a toasted Udi’s Bagel and it was delish.  I think I will try a grilled turkey burger on a toasted bagel next time. 

udisbagel

Because I have found a bread product that I not only tolerate, but I enjoy, I have not steered very far away from Udi’s to try other products.  If you are eating gf and you have an outstanding bread product please please share your joy with me.  I may just go to the ends of the earth if someone can recommend a gf artisan loaf of bread…

All pictures on this post are courtesy of Udi’s Gluten Free Foods

1 comment:

  1. Kristie, this is the granola I was telling you about...the only one on the market that I've found that I can (basically) have. If you think the vanilla's good, you're in for a treat with the CRANBERRY! Num num num NUM! I have to force myself to stop eating it.

    ReplyDelete