Thursday, March 17, 2011

Waffle Bread

Through a recommendation from my friend Amanda, I purchased a new cookbook called “Cooking for Isaiah” by Silvana Nardone. The book is centered around the concept that all recipes are gluten and dairy free. Amanda’s recommendation was spot on and I have yet to go two days since buying this cookbook, without trying a new recipe. Her recipes are simple and she uses ingredients that, for the most part, are found in a household that eats gf/df. Besides extremely tasty foods, I cannot emphasize enough how easy her recipes are.

Below is her recipe for Waffle Bread. I modified the recipe a bit by using our gluten-free flour blend instead of her all-purpose gf blend. I also scaled back the measurements in fear of making enough waffles to feed an army. This is a savory variation on the classic waffle. There are two things I love about this recipe; first the texture and the warmth coming off the waffle iron make this bread a great alternative to other gf toasted slices of bread. It is crispy on the outside and warm and soft on the inside. I also love that this recipe makes many more waffles than our family of four needed in one sitting, so I was able to freeze a second batch of cooked waffles. In the days beyond making the waffles and freezing them, I would take one or two out of the freezer, pop it in my toaster, and enjoy them all over again.

Ingredients

2 cups gf flour blend
1/8 cup sugar
3/4 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup drained and chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
2 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups rice milk (I used almond milk)
Italian seasoning blend

Directions

In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients and sun-dried tomatoes. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and milk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined.

Preheat a waffle iron to medium-high heat. Grease the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray. Pour about 1/3 cup batter onto each waffle iron square, spreading the batter out to the edges and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning blend. Close and cook until crisp, about 5 minutes; let cool and repeat with remaining batter.

I used this waffle bread to make amazingly delicious chicken sandwiches. I spread chipotle mayo on each of the waffle slices, in between the waffles I piled a grilled chicken breast on top of a slice of tomato and two slices of bacon. Yummy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment