Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cream of Chicken Soup

Justin and I were craving a hearty, homemade Minnesotan meal. I don’t think it gets any more Minnesotan than your classic tatertot hotdish. Super easy to make and stick to your ribs. The problem? I have never seen a DF cream of chicken/mushroom/celery/potato soup. I figured it couldn’t be to hard to make your own, so I did some investigating online and came up with my own version.

Ingredients

1/3 cup Earth Balance
1/3 cup GF flour
1 14oz can of chicken stock
1/4 cup water (or milk substitute)
salt
pepper
optional: canned chicken, mushrooms, potatoes, or celery

Directions

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, salt, and pepper (to taste). Wisk together. (Makes a roux)

DSCF0317

Slowly add the chicken stock and water. Wisk until boiling and mixture has thickened.

DSCF0320

This gives you a great base for any cream soup replacement. I didn’t add any of the optional ingredients but it’d be easy enough to do to get your desired soup. Note: This recipe makes more than a 10 oz can of soup so be sure to measure if your recipe requires specific amounts.

3 comments:

  1. Is this more the consistency of the condensed can, or the consistency once it is mixed with water or milk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It gets pretty thick and close to the consistency of the condensed can especially as it cools. I let it cool for a little bit before I used it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I was just going to look for this the other day but was too lazy.

    ReplyDelete