Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Gluten Free Beer Bread

Needing one last appetizer for an upcoming party at the Eid's, Kristen and I pondered whether I could make a successful loaf of GF beer bread. The consensus was, we would never know unless I tried. I originally got hooked on Beer Bread from the Tastefully Simple parties that I had been to in years past. A few months ago, without a box of Tastefully Simple on hand, I googled the recipe and found out that it is not only very easy, but also much cheaper to make your own loaf of beer bread. I loaded the recipe, Beer Bread I, from Allrecipes.com and started making my notes for tweaking the recipe to fit our diet restrictions. The original recipe calls for self-rising flour. Because our GF flour is not self rising I did some research and found that it is also very easy, requiring only 2 ingredients, to make our flour self-rising.

Ingredients
3 cups GF Flour
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 Tablespoons white sugar
1 (12 oz) can or bottle of Gluten Free beer. I used RedBridge
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance, melted
1 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions
In a large bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the sugar, whisking again. Slowly add the beer and stir together until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Pour into a greased 9 X 5 loaf pan and let rest for 30 minutes. After resting, bake for 50-60 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Half way through the baking time pour the melted butter and garlic salt over the top of the bread and continue baking until a knife placed in the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

The loaf tasted delicious it was very moist and not a bit grainy. The butter on top was a great crunchy finish to the bread. However, it looked a lot different than the orignal beer bread. It did not have the vibrant golden color when it was finished. I forgot to post a picture of the loaf before I cut it up into chunks to be served. Halfway through the night I realized and took a picture of what hadn't yet been devoured.

1 comment:

  1. This bread was wonderful Thank you! My gluten eating husband and daughter loved it and she even requested it in her lunch for school. I used a mix of whatever gluten free flours I had bits of and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete