Monday, March 28, 2011

Sausage Breakfast Cups

eggs
(Image courtesy of Allrecipes.com)

I think the first rule for hosting a party is don't try out a new recipe. I usually follow that, but for my sister's baby shower all rules went out the window. I was serving brunch and wanted to make something that was unique, cute, and easy. I found a recipe for sausage and cheese breakfast cups and adapted it to my liking. This recipe makes 12 cups.

Ingredients

8 oz pork sausage
10 large eggs
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3 scallions, sliced
optional: 1/2 - 1 cup shredded DF cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Fill muffin tin with liners or spray with a non-stick cooking spray.

In a medium skillet cook the sausage until brown and crumbly. Remove the sausage from the pan and sauté the peppers in the leftover sausage grease. Set aside and let cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the peppers, scallions, cheese and sausage to the eggs and stir. Spoon/pour mixture into muffin cups, dividing evenly. (I put my mixture in a pitcher and poured that way.)

Bake for 25 minutes or until the egg is set.

Note: The sausage made the tops a little greasy and appeared to be not thoroughly cooked, so be sure to use a knife to test if the egg is set. Once the knife comes out clean they are done.

1 comment: